I am a working Mom trying to be a super wonder Mom to my kids. Schedule would usually turn so erratic that there are times that I feel so stress and worn out. I am at times depressed; I can feel the guilt since I know that my kids only deserve the best of me. However, very usual than not, I would be home late at night already dead tired. But no matter how tired I may be, I would always tend to my kids’ needs (assignments, baon, projects, bonding moments). I may not give them much of my time but I am giving them my quality time.
I know that I can choose to be a Work at Home Mom right now but I chose to be a Working Mom due to some priorities that my husband and I have set and obligations to fulfill. We are doing it for our kids.
Working Mommy guilt is just natural for a working momma like me. But we should not be harsh on ourselves since we are working to give our kids a brighter future. I had been working ever since I had been a Mom and my 2 kids cannot discount the fact that I love them dearly. For those who are also in my shoes I know that you can totally relate.
Let me share to you my simple ways that I am doing which turns out to be effective in countering my working mommy guilt in my end. I may suck in time management but modesty aside I am good in giving them my quality time
- All working moms working outside the confines of their home wishes to have more time with their kids at home, the very reason why weekends and holidays for me are very precious. Weekends and holidays are for my family only, I am very lucky that my superiors in the company where I work have the same priority.
- At home my kids are my boss. I give them my full attention and time. I listen to them. I also encourage them to share their stories and even jokes. I am giving them their freedom of speech to air their opinion but to some extent. Debates are also welcome at home provided that they do their piece in a polite manner.
- Dinners are sacred for us, this is the time that we reconnect.
- I never miss my kids’ milestone , I may not be in every practice/rehearsals that they have but I make sure that I am always there during their main event.
- Reaasurance – I always make them feel that just because I am busy at work, it doesn’t mean that I don’y love them.
- Support Group- I am very lucky that I have a good support group none other than my family most sepcially my husband and siblings (all of us are working Moms and Dad).
- Vacation – once a year my husband and I make sure that we take our kids in a vacation. We would often do it with my immediate family (with 21 family members – my parents, siblings and pamangkins)
For working moms like me feeling guilty is just natural, but do not pressure yourself. We must remember that we can never be superwoman since we are just but human., but we can be a wonder Mom who can do loving wonders to our children.
But of course at the end of the day, it is always my family specially my kids that is on my priority. No meetings, conferences and projects can stop me to see every milestone of my kids. I am just happy that my bosses knew this being parents themselves too.
How about you, how do you counter working mommy guilt?